A breast cancer survivor shares her experiences with the BRCA gene.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Two Year Mark

I know why they call it the Terrible Two's.  I recently marked 2 years post-surgery and find myself constantly throwing tantrums like a toddler. 
Even after all this time, I'm still building back my life physically, emotionally and mentally.

Physically...I'm trying to build abdominal muscles and stretch tissues that are too tight because they were cut. 

So, MY ADVICE before you go under the chopping block: get details in writing from your surgeon and then go see a physical therapist, your new best friend.  Because this surgery affects your entire core, from top to bottom: muscles, tissue, ligaments. 

My recommendation after surgery: Get a doctor's referral to a physical therapist, who specializes in pilades. 

In addition, you'll need to do the following:

* Pilades (for core)
* Yoga for flexibility.
* Weight training to build muscle strength.
* Water aerobics and swimming for all the above.
* Lots of martinis for everyone who has to put up with your mood swings.

See you at the gym.

No comments: